Our Top Tips for a Men’s Capsule Wardrobe
Do you find yourself short on time every morning? Does the idea of putting together a fashionable outfit only add to the stress? Creating the perfect outfit takes time and effort and can be especially difficult if you have children needing attention or a busy work schedule. This is where a men’s capsule wardrobe comes in.
Having a carefully curated capsule wardrobe takes the hassle out of outfit planning. It enables you to simply grab the first clothes and accessories you see knowing that no matter what, they’ll look great together. Here, we’ve put together this guide full of tips and advice on how to create a men’s capsule wardrobe and what essential items should be included.
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is a small collection of clothes and accessories, usually between 10-40 pieces although there’s no set number, which is exactly enough to get you through until the next laundry day and will work for a variety of events and occasions. These pieces are often very carefully selected so they can be mixed and matched to create perfect outfits time and time again.
Typically, a capsule wardrobe features classic styles, neutral colours and timeless fabrics that are all very versatile. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t inject some personality into your wardrobe too. Using block colours, specific styles you like and even a few patterned pieces here and there is perfectly acceptable in a capsule wardrobe, as long as each piece can be worn with multiple different outfits.
The Benefits of a Men’s Capsule Wardrobe
Wondering what the point of a capsule wardrobe is? Or why anyone would want to start one? Well, if you find yourself frequently buying clothes that you hardly ever wear, or you have a wardrobe overflowing with clothing, then a capsule wardrobe may be for you. Here are some of the top benefits of a men’s capsule wardrobe:
- You’ll wear your clothes more often – When you buy an item of clothing you expect to want to wear it for years, but, in a cluttered wardrobe it can very easily get lost. Buying the latest styles from fast fashion brands and wearing each piece once, maybe twice, is not only bad for the environment but bad for your bank balance too. A capsule wardrobe features high-quality, versatile pieces that will last longer and likely be worn more often.
- Less clutter – Having fewer clothes in your wardrobe and drawers makes it much easier to organise and see what you own. Plus, you won’t have to deal with the frustrations of squeezing your clothes together in a wardrobe and the struggle of trying to find something specific.
- Outfit planning is simplified – As every item in a capsule wardrobe is chosen to match all the others, when it comes to outfit planning you’ll never go wrong. This is ideal if you’re usually in a rush in the mornings and don’t want to be overwhelmed with choices. Just grab and go!
- You’ll never feel the need to panic buy – Rather than impulsively buying a new outfit for a dinner date, a beach trip, or a meeting that you may not wear again, a capsule wardrobe will offer an outfit for every occasion making your life much easier.
How to Make the Perfect Capsule Wardrobe?
Now you’ve decided you want to take the plunge and create your own capsule wardrobe, it’s time to learn how and where to start. Firstly, you’ll need to clear out your current wardrobe to make some space. We understand this can be a difficult process – especially if you get attached to clothing. But, the bigger the clear out the easier it will be when curating the perfect capsule wardrobe. We’d recommend putting aside any clothes you haven’t worn for at least 6 months, excluding items for special occasions, and donating or selling any luxury pieces in good condition.
Then, you’ll need to identify which type of clothing and outfits you need for your day-to-day life. Take into consideration everything you would typically wear during the week and what you’d like to wear on the weekend too. You’ll also need to think about how often you dress up and go out, items suitable for work and any activities or hobbies you enjoy such as gym or outdoor wear. You’ll also want a selection of clothing to suit each season or pieces that can be worn transitionally.
Once you’ve chosen your clothes, you’ll need to choose the right accessories that will suit every item. From formal to casual shoes, ties, scarves, hats, belts and jewellery, all of these items will also need to be carefully considered and well thought out to ensure they work with all of your new outfits.
As everything should coordinate, choosing the right colour scheme is vital. Neutral colours like white, grey and black are best when it comes to capsule wardrobes. But, as long as everything will pair well together you can throw in splashes of colour. Take a look at the colours you wear most often and build your wardrobe from there.
Men’s Capsule Wardrobe Essentials
When it comes to buying new pieces for your capsule wardrobe we recommend the following essential items:
- Casual shirts
- Dress shirts
- A tailored jacket
- A casual jacket
- Four t-shirts or polos
- Two pairs of jeans
- A pair of shorts
- A jumper or cardigan
- Casual trousers or chinos
- Smart classic shoes
- Casual shoes
- An everyday bag
Start your capsule wardrobe today and browse our full range of men’s clothing and accessories for inspiration.